- Support for 3D imagery data: 3D data provides a comprehensive representation of metropolitan environments around the world. 3D imagery is currently available in the these areas.
- Tour Guide mechanism in the client: The new tour guide allows you to explore interesting places around the world, even if you don’t know to search for them. As you move, thumbnails of pre-created tours and points of interest will dynamically update with interesting locations in your current view. Read more.
- Support for terrain data accessed via Google Maps Engine
- Zooming in now tilts at a higher elevation in order to showcase 3D imagery
- A unified graphical rendering pipeline
- Redesigned startup tips and status bar
Issues fixed in this release
Google Earth Client
- Fixed a Pro and Enterprise bug whereby cached login data disappeared after upgrading to Mac OS 10.8+.
- Sound can now be recorded from a microphone when producing a tour.
- Improved Atmosphere feature for users on certain NVIDIA GeForce cards.
- Polygons clamped to seafloor now display correctly.
Known issues in Google Earth 7
- PC Enterprise users will note flashing historical imagery when going to the minimum date of the time slider in a handful of areas around the world. To workaround, use 6.2 for Enterprise.
- Terrain, imagery and polygons that overlap the antemeridian occasionally appear broken.
- This build includes changes to shaders that strain older graphics cards. Please see system requirements for updated lists of recommended hardware.